The Teal Pumpkin Project and Food Allergies!
This Halloween season raise your awareness of food allergies and promote inclusion of all trick-or-treaters!
Did You Know …
- A recent study found that 1 in 13 U.S. children and teens suffer from food allergies.
- There is no cure for food allergies…strict avoidance is key.
- Eight foods account for 90% of all food-allergic reactions in the U.S.: milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, soy, fish, and shellfish. Nuts cause the most fatalities.
- Allergic reactions are unpredictable: they may present and progress differently than previous reactions and a seemingly mild reaction can turn serious quickly.
- Teenagers are the highest risk group for a fatal reaction.
- Trace amounts of a food allergen can cause a reaction. Most are due to ingestion, but some are due to contact or inhalation (cooking fumes or peanut dust).
- Prompt administration of epinephrine (EpiPen) is crucial to surviving a life-threatening reaction.
Learn more about Food Allergies by visiting the links below:
- Click here to learn what you can do to participate in the Teal Pumpkin Project!
- Most statistics from Food Allergy Research & Education www.foodallergy.org (800) 929-4040
- For more information visit www.allergyhome.org or http://resources.presentations.utah.edu/ashottolive/player.html
- EpiPen demonstration video https://www.epipen.com/en/about-epipen/how-to-use-epipen
- Click Here for SATXFAST informational flyer!
Remember that Food allergy education, communication, and preparation in schools will improve the safety of students with food allergies!